Monday, May 12, 2008

light bulb goes on

Wow, today I finally figured out what the hell a podcast really is, and what RSS is. Thank you, BBC website! It takes my need for Doctor Who commentaries for me to care about current technology. And I might add, no place else ever explained these things either a) at all; or b) in a way I could understand. sheesh! (BTW I do not really appreciate the Doctor's daughter -- shes' too perky and sassy and not-a-good-actress, but maybe I'll have to re-watch. Too much emoting going on for me to focus, aiee!)

I'm always late on these things, but now OVER a year ago at this time (it was May 7), I arrived here in Vancouver and started living in the old apartment! So freshman year of the west coast can now be checked off. We've also been in this house now for nearly 6 months, which is crazy! It's really flown by. Do I like it all, am I glad I moved, is the Northwest an acceptable place to live? I think so, maybe . . . . mostly I think:

a) Leaving Pittsburgh is a very very good idea, it is necessary refreshment of, like, your will to live;
b) Meeting new people is very very good, can help a transition to any area, and results in, you know, new friends! :)
c) Clean air is very very nice, and tall coniferous trees are fun! However, they produce a bizarre longing for round, puffy deciduous trees;
d) Owning a house is great!
e) Spring and all its greenery is really is not that exciting, nor appreciated, unless you go through winter first. :(

I'm sure there are more insights, but I need coffee. Mostly I guess a, b, and d are independent of the Northwest; they'd probably be true no matter where we'd moved. Now I need my clean air, though (thanks, NW)! The lack of winter, while a novelty, may get old. I really really do like winter! (and puffy deciduous trees!) Being this far from family is pretty crappy, too. And still, nothing is old here, and the ranch houses are weird, and even though I love my house (yes, a mod mod ranch!) I still dream of living in a Victorian, or any big old house with second-and-third floor perches, double entry doors, bay windows, a turret, a porch swing, stained glass, you know, stuff like that. (Why'd I leave Pgh again? No, wait, there is way more to quality of life than your house's architecture!)

Well, it's sophomore year here, I guess . . .

3 comments:

feesta said...

hello mrs. D!
you have made me a fan of the doctor whatsit. I can watch it using the BBC's iplayer and have seen the last 3 or 4 weeks worth. i've been trying to watch more tv this year (an admirable goal, right?) and I haven't been impressed with acting/production of most bbc shows. the daughter seems par for the course whereas david tenant is doing an exceptional job and makes her look weaker.

having learned some of the english culture, I've found some jokes I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. like when they were in pompei, someone called a store 'TK Maximus'. here TJ Max runs stores with the same logo called TK Max. When they went to donna's house a week ago, that would have been my old neighborhood (Chiswick) although it was probably shot not in london. and Donna's accent is NOT a chiswick accent which is an upper middle class area. she has a strong Croydon accent which is a dangerous but tight-knit neighbor far south in London. people are proud of being from croydon and their accent which outsiders can rarely copy. it's probably like being from south Boston, maybe?

I'm enjoying getting a weekly dose. the only other show that is worth watching is Little Britain but I think the season is over now.

feesta said...

PS. RSS feeds allow me to keep track of your blog (and Rebecca and Wendy since you 3 are the only friends who blog at non-xanga)!

Dorothy said...

Yes yes, David Tennant's emoting cannot be contained!! I've watched a bunch of his other films/shows and he is a mighty fine actor! I guess this summer he's playing Hamlet on stage and all the fangirls are in a tizzy trying to go! Um, I would, too, if I had, like, unlimited income.

I think they film most everything in Cardiff. That show makes me want to visit the UK so bad!!