Friday, October 16, 2009

Excitement!

OK, so first, I realize it is past 2am. What of it? My crazy, ever-changing artistic exploration adventures cannot be contained to "reasonable hours".

So!

I signed up for NaNoWriMo 2009!! No, no -- not Nanaimo bars -- though I'd gladly welcome and consume (in tiny bites) a Nanaimo bar (or 5) at any time of any day. NaNoWriMo is this writers' motivational collective challenge where basically I will write a novel -- at least 50,000 words -- during the month of November. Conveniently, I've had . . . get ready . . . novel ideas for a novel for at least the past year and a half!

I guess I should say the convenience really lies in NaNoWriMo itself, because it will give me a fun reason to ACTUALLY write that novel (well, a first draft anyway), and not spend too much time on it if it turns out to be crap. Up till now I've just been thinking about it every now and then and

a) not really knowing how any of my ideas will go together, or
b) when I'd take the time to write them out in novel form, or
c) if I want it to be a novel at all, or perhaps rather a serial comic book, which
d) means that I was hemming and hawing over the whole project and
e) just basically doing nothing and feeling overwhelmed and sad and never starting it properly.

However, I have peppered a few notebooks with ideas over all this time, so I have something to go on. And the whole point is quantity over quality and punching out that rough draft, which is exactly what I need right now! Thank you, meandering internet trail that stemmed from an Etsy newsletter, thank you people/blogs I remembered mentioning the event in the past, and thank you, NaNoWriMo! Anyone want to participate with me? :D

No comments: