Friday, April 9, 2010

April showers

Howdy! This week was a bit rough thanks to a persistent cough, some inexplicable depression-like symptoms, and this crappy rain/sunshine/rain cycle of insanity!!  At least I'm glad that there is sunshine in there at all!

When the sun was out, I did manage to do a bunch of gardening: weeding, planting 142 carrot seeds, 27 (additional) super sprint snap peas, 40 (additional) sugar ann snap peas, some perennials, and shifting the remains of my big compost pile elsewhere to make a new bed.

I forgot to take photos, but I made a big batch of my dad's bran muffins, too!  Always good to have those in the freezer. :)

AND, things continue to be underway with my master gardener merchandise (hats, flags, lapel pins! more more more!) for the fall conference, and the BEST is that they might (will?) give me some table space at the conference to sell my own art!  It will be the RevolvingDor shop in person!  YAY!! I'm using this opportunity as a catalyst/focal point to get to my artistic goals this year.  Blah blah blah, it's big news! I hope everyone realizes by now that I need these outside events/deadlines to make myself actually get stuff done, and this is the perfect thing!

I think we actually made 2 pizzas this week, but I don't even really recall!  Lazy lazy me.  It appears that, much like the Indian food month, the month of pizza-making has helped to incorporate pizza into the regular dinner repertoire.  Nice!

Whenever I am chopping up beef to grind it, I always get the intense urge to just EAT IT!! I know, I know, you're not supposed to eat raw beef, but man oh man, everything about it is absolutely delicious. I'm convinced it's some inherent human/caveperson thing.  I don't understand how some people opt out of eating meat; I really don't.  They are missing out on the human experience I tell you!!  Plus, how is scraping together peanuts and soy for protein remotely as satisfying as chomping on muscle mass?  It's not. Anyway, I did sneak a few bits of raw stuff from the bowl, hee hee!  So good.

Oh, I wanted to add that grinding your own meat is a good thing to do!  Besides getting in touch with your inner caveperson (grunt grunt!), it is way cheaper than buying hamburger, PLUS you can control what's in there (I try to get really super lean cuts like bottom round roast; above is chuck but I cut out most of the fat).  I guess the only thing better would be buying the "all natural organic grass fed blah blah" stuff, but, ummm, you just let me know when THAT costs $1.99/lb., okay? It's sad because I WANT to buy the natural stuff, I totally WOULD, but it is too pricey for the quantities I require. (And shoot, I eat WAY less beef than I used to, too.  I'm attempting to be healthy!) I really do wish I could be a do-gooder in this area (and yeah, I even understand why it's expensive), but apparently I am more cheapskate than do-gooder! Thank god for Winco.

(Although I will add that if I were magically rolling in dough, I would TOTALLY buy one of those half-cow deals from a local farmer and wrap up all the cuts and keep it in the deep-freeze!)

I had been thinking of having a lot of "containers" in the form of cheerily-painted plastic pots -- and I may still do this to some extent.  However, I cleaned up the area and found that the dirt is really nice, and does get some rainfall from the edge of the patio, and besides, our future drip irrigation reaches over there anyhow. Soooo, now I want to plant things, like maybe hebes, lavender, have some vines going up the fence somehow.  Nothing too tall (would hit the patio roof!) or that would overtake/overpuff on the patio area . . . but the fence really is boring!  That is short, orange crocosmia on the left, which is great (discovered when we chopped the hedge!), but it's not always there.  I need all-season interest, people!  Any other ideas or suggestions???  This is the view when you step directly out our back patio door.

And that is that! A. and I may do more hedge-chopping this weekend if it's nice out, to make way for cherries and apples . . . whee!

No comments: