Friday, April 16, 2010

GARDEN PROJECTS!!

A. and I did some major garden redesign in our backyard this week!  It looks really different! Here is a mini-tour:

We cut down the hedge/brush on one day and then rented a trailer the next day to haul it away to the yard debris place.  Yes, our Mazda has a hitch because it is AWESOME! (well, 'cause A. put it there and he is awesome!) And yes, we had free coupons for the yard debris place. After dropping that off, we went to pick up some new TREES to plant!  And brought them home.  After we did that, we went to Home Depot to get WOOD to make raised beds!  I know, we were crazy ambitious, I don't know what got into us except for a whole lot of AWESOME!! And we'd been plotting these shenanigans for a while.  So all that trailering was in one day!!

One of the trees we got was a Japanese maple -- I have wanted one for a long time, but had no good place to put it!  Now I do. And I LOVE it.

The above picture illustrates why! Sure beats looking at an opaque wall of green hedge. Also it's (already) super nice to sit on the patio and watch the leaves flutter and relaaaaaaax. Super bonus, the stems will stay red in the winter for seasonal interest!

The second tree is a 4-way cherry!  What does that mean? Well, 4 different types of cherry have been grafted onto one tree.  We got one with Black Tartarian, Stella, Lapins, and Montmorency.  The latter is a sour cherry, but A. has certain expertise in making to-die-for pies with those, so we're good to go.  Apparently Lapins is a newish type develped in BC that is possibly better than Bing!  We shall see. It will pollinate itself due to all the different branches. Score!

(The original plan was 2 semidwarf cherry trees, but we saw this at Yard N Garden Land and HAD TO TRY IT OMG!!!) The other thing we had to try, fully abandoning the 2 cherry plan, was this:

This is more in the side yard. (You can see, it snuck into the first maple photo all the way down the end when it was still in its pot.) Our 6-way apple is similar to the cherry, in that it has SIX apple types on one tree!  Gravenstein, Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, Macintosh, and Jonagold!  Thank you again, Yard N Garden Land!!  And get this: it came all pre-espailered!  Espalier is a technique of training fruit trees (and other shrubby stuff) in a horizontal plane or against a wall to make a sort of living fence, and/or keep your fruit crop more manageable if you don't have space for a big ol' tree (or, if you just feel like it, of course!).  A. masterminded the framework for the espalier; it was pretty easy!  In this picture I haven't tied the tree to the frame yet, but I did that this morning (and didn't photograph it, oh well).

Oops, it's MY FIRST TYPO in the above caption!  Guess what? I am way too lazy to go back and fix it, so there it stands.  Anyway.  As if all those trees weren't enough, off we go and build a raised bed.  Moxie LOVED sitting in there! I think we may have to make her an outdoor doghouse to be all cozy in.  Can I just mention that I have the cutest dog?  Your dog may be cute, but mine is cuter.  Just sayin'. :)

I subsequently painted the bed white (for longevity since it's just Doug fir) and we moved it off near the espalier.  More photos probably next week when we've made the second one and done who knows what else to the yard!? Oh, one last example of our insanity:

And now for something completely different:

Couple more yard-y things:

Also from this week:
* Baked 2 loaves of bread, one of which was a favorite recipe modified for the "bucket method" we've been using, and it came out YUMMY!
* Thought up a refreshing drink: water, lemon juice, and stevia powder, all to taste, over ice.  No-cal lemonade!! Why didn't I do this before??? Also would be good with iced tea.
* Finalized some garden flags for the MG conference, which are going to be SO COOL, and verified I'm getting my table to sell stuff, so I am PSYCHED.
* Also, in true Dorothy fashion, as soon as I have a goal to do one thing (prepare art for conference), my brain latches on to another thing -- I started semi-drawing/continued thinking out my graphic novel of WIN! So hopefully I'll be able to simultaneously keep both projects going, because I need to.  The art for possible income, the book because it is TIME. My creativity is really mad that I've been putting it off, so now I'm making a concerted effort!!
* Been watching more old Doctor Who (and falling asleep -- but I still love it, go figure!), playing Just Dance on the Wii (A. beat me!!), and we set up the new Netflix for the Wii thingie and it is wicked cool.  We watched Star Trek: First Contact for the hell of it when we first tried it out.  Oh Data, I do love you so.
* Is it just me or is this post especially long? OK, I'm going to go start my weekend now.  Possibly by planting a LOT of zinnias. Bye!

1 comment:

Beth said...

What a beautiful garden! I would have loved to walk there, and see all the gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing