Monday, May 23, 2011

Timpano: Part Five, the Conclusion!

OK, here come the photos showing how we finished making the timpano last night!

A. cooked the pasta.

 I oiled the pan well!
 Rolled out the dough to almost the size of our table!
 Placed it in the bowl.
 Lovely drape.
 Mixed olive oil and some sauce with the pasta.
 Dump it in! (first layer)
 Add layer of chopped salami and provolone.
 Yum, hard boiled eggs!
 Wheee!  In they go!  Note: I messed up and didn't put the full half in this layer, but that just meant the second layer had a lot more.
 Add some meatballs and wait for romano cheese flurries!
 Progress.
 My other photographer and the wee one!

 Add sauce!
 More pasta, salami, provolone!
 Eggs!
 Meatballs and sauce and romano!
Final layer of pasta and sauce!  Did I mention that the fillings are supposed to only barely fill the pan?  Hey, just following instructions; I don't know how we got overflow!

NOTE: I really messed up here because I forgot to add the 4 beaten eggs at this point, and that certainly contributed to our issues with solidity once it was done!
 Folding over the dough!
 Almost done!
 Trim the excess!  I didn't worry about having too much extra dough; I like dough!
 Ready for the oven!
 In it goes!
I don't have photos, but after it's a bit browned, you cover it with foil and cook it to 120 degrees -- so here it is partway through, when I added the foil and thermometer!
 Finished baking!!
 Mmmmm, dough!
 Our only big platter was barely big enough for this thing!  But it worked!  A. does the flip and . . .
 THERE IT IS!!
 WHOA!!
 TIMPANO!!
 I cut the 3" circle in the middle (something to do with it being a support for the pieces as we cut them),
 then, the first piece!
 Onto the plate!
 Yummy mess of bread and meat and goodies!
 Wow!
Again, wow!!

So, how was it?  Well, it was quite tasty . . . but A. and I are both rather critical people, and we thought up a bunch of changes we would make!  (Did you really think I could leave it at "it was quite tasty"?)

I was happy with it, but it needed WAY more sauce and WAY more cheese.  When we reheat pieces for leftovers, I am totally going to top them with jarred sauce and thick mozzarella slices. Yeah!

I wish it was more solid, but that is partially my fault for forgetting the egg near the end.  I thought it would be more like some sort of giant pie/dumpling with meatloaf consistency and some noodles thrown in, but it was very noodley.  More like a pasta dish with a bit of crispy crust.  The meatballs were not helped in the final melding, unfortunately.  However, the hard boiled eggs were an extra nice touch!

 A. was particularly disappointed; he could tell along the way that the proportions weren't what he imagined, and he could just not forgive those meatballs!  He agreed about it needing MORE sauce and cheese!

If/when we make this again, we have decided to experiment and make it however we want with all kinds of crazy combos!  But see, I made the official recipe, so now I'm allowed to play. :)  I also think a dessert version of this would rule -- cake bits, brownies, custard, pudding, ice cream, chocolate chips, cookie dough, brioche, etc. etc. etc. all in a giant pie crust bowl of awesome -- that's what I'm talking about!!

Anyway,  I hope you enjoyed our crazy project!  Who knows what we'll make next . . . . :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

wow, what a huge endeavor! I think I'll stick with ziti, but I am seriously impressed and enjoyed vicariously following you on the journey. Dessert timpano sounds delicious. The crust was lovely!