Saturday, May 21, 2011

Timpano: Part Three

Last night we made the meatballs!  We were pretty tired from the day, so for the forming and frying we were sitting down at the stove, ha ha!  Oh, I feel old.

First we ground some beef.  Ever since I got my Kitchenaid grinder attachment, I've been doing this regularly anyway (SO MUCH better than pre-ground hamburger!).  We needed to re-stock, so we ground more than we needed for the recipe.

Yummy yummy beef!

The next step was actually ridiculous.  You know that bread I've been drying for 3 days?  Well, you put it in a bowl of WATER and sort of reconstitute it into a slimy mess, take the crusts off, and squeeze the water out.
(sorry for the poor photo quality)

If anyone can tell me WHY you do this (and why the drying), I'd like to know!  I've done dry bread crumbs and soft bread crumbs, but this was bizarre -- and led to kind of crappy results, but I'm getting ahead of myself . . .

Next, A. put the shredded romano, garlic, and parsley in a bowl,

and added the meat and an egg.  Then you put in the soggy bread globs and mix!  I'm not providing a picture of the resultant mix, because let's be honest, it looks a little gross.  The smooshed bread looked a little gross, too!

Now, you're supposed to fry up a meatball to check it for taste, adding more salt and pepper or cheese if needed.  Well, we found the sample meatballs to be . . . "light".  As in, more bread than meat.  Sort of ooey gooey in a bad way.  Bland.  What is up with that watery bread??  It kind of ruins these meatballs.  So A. grated a bunch more cheese in, added more garlic, and more importantly, put in about a half-pound more hamburger!!  Then we fried them:
(This was when we were exhausted and sitting on chairs!)  You are supposed to make these meatballs really small, and A. tried, but they were so darn wet they wouldn't stick together properly, and they turned into little patties instead of actual spheres . . . and fell apart, and it was kind of like a sausage crumble kind of thing going on.  Still, I got them to brown nicely.

When we were totally done, Moxie got a treat . . .
Mmmm, licking raw meat off A's hands, ohboy!

And here is a pic of the finished meatballs (after a night in the fridge, oops).
All in all, I was unimpressed with this particular recipe.  Hopefully these meatballs will meld with the rest of the timpano fillings in an exciting and fulfilling way, because on their own, they're pretty lame.

So we made these last night, and today we went out and finally found some salami and provolone cheese.  These two items (in a non-sliced format) have been nearly impossible to find around here!!  Winco, Costco, and Fred Meyer didn't have either, and we finally found the salami (not "Genoa", I might add, but some generic thing) at Trader Joe's, and got the deli lady to chop us off a hunk of provolone at Safeway.  Can I just say that I totally miss Penn Mac, because they could certainly fulfill my every cheesy desire!!!  And they'd probably have the salami to boot.  Ah, Pittsburgh, I miss you for your food. :(

Tonight we're aiming for the dough and the eggs, and tomorrow we're assembling and cooking this thing, woot!  Stay tuned!

No comments: