Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cloth Diapers: Bum Genius

Ah, Bum Genius!  The Bum Genius 4.0 one-size diaper with snaps is one of my favorites!  I will go into the details after the following rainbow of diaper colors that yes, I own.  I know.  I started with two (actually, I started with two for each brand, now that I think of it), but I've bought a lot over time.  Cottonbabies (the makers of Bum Genius) periodically has seconds sales, and as far as I can tell, there is NOTHING wrong with their seconds -- so I got a bunch of mine that way, super discounted!  Cottonbabies always has free shipping, too!

  
 




 



Pictures from NurturedFamily website, because the Cottonbabies website wouldn't let me save their different color pictures!

"Sweet" (the super-pale green) and "Artist Series: Jet Setter" (blue patterned one) have been discontinued, but I did manage to grab those pictures (see links), just for completeness' sake of the colors I have.  I was really disappointed with Sweet, actually, because it was basically white, and how boring is that?  Now BG is really getting into fun colors and prints.

Now, let me tell you why these are so great.

First off, I went with the snaps option because I had heard that babies sometimes get it in their mind to take off velcro (oh, sorry, I meant "hook and loop") diapers, and they can't get past the snaps as easily.  Luckily Eleanor never really attempted this, but she was in mostly snaps, so who knows?  Also, snaps are supposedly more durable, and sure enough, a couple of my hook and loop diaper tabs did indeed wear out, but none of my snaps have.  Snaps are the way to go!  Sure, little newborns aren't going to be pulling at velcro, and it is easier to cinch them down to size a tiny baby better.  But overall, snaps win!  (Sure enough, a lot of the companies now offer snaps.)

Bum Genius has the vertical double row of snaps -- that is, one up top for the hips/tummy, and one below for the legs.  A lot of diapers come with their snaps all in a horizontal row.  The Bum Genius style is better, in my opinion, because: a) you get a better fit, being able to size the leg and tummy separately.  Yup, babies grow their torsos and thighs at different rates, it seems, so if you can't get a good leg seal, you get leaks.  Especially now that E. is older, she needs a big leg opening, but a tighter fit around the waist.
Another factor of her being bigger: sometimes I can only snap the first (end-of-tab) snap of those horizontal-row diapers, leaving the second snap to press into her little leg, leaving red marks -- ow!  This is why we sadly had to retire all her Smartipants. "One-size" horizontal-snap diapers don't really fit after that second snap is off the front.  (One of the indie diapers I bought actually came with snap covers -- little bits of fabric to cover those ouchie snaps -- what a great idea!) Other brands with the prized vertical double snaps (that I have tried) are Blueberry, Oh Katy, and Rumparooz.  If doing it all again, I wouldn't buy any horizontal-row snap diapers.

Another great feature of Bum Genius is their super stay-dry fleece lining.  It's more like a "suede" type of inside, and it is superior at keeping baby dry!  It also doesn't pill like every other fleece lining did after about 2-3 washes.  (Pilling doesn't take away from a diaper's function, but does make it look more worn out.)  When E. constantly woke up from feeling wet, we made Bum Genius (and the other suede lining style, Smartipants) our "nap" and "night" diaper, because she wouldn't wake when wearing them!  Our scientific minds figured it out quickly. :)  Side note: those Malden Mills stay-dry liners from Green Mountain Diapers were and still are another good option for assured non-waking.  Yes, I've even lined pilly-fleece diapers with them from time to time.

Bum Genius can be reliably triple-stuffed for nighttime with no leaks.  Yes, we've been triple-stuffing at night for a long time now!  Mommy's Touch is our go-to night diaper now, but BG works in a pinch.

I have so many BGs now that I use them at E's nursery school because it's consistent.  (I suppose I could be writing this paragraph about any brand of her diapers that we had a lot of.)  I'm amazed and fairly saddened that E. appears to be the only kid there using cloth (I guess I'm in the cloth diapering community bubble, thinking that everyone's doing it), but the teachers have no issues whatsoever with using the BGs.  Or any of them, really, when other types have snuck in.  Don't be afraid of using cloth in a school or daycare situation!!  At least at E's school, they are happy to work with us and the cloth.  They say that they've had other kids using cloth in the past, but I guess E. is the token cloth kid for now. 

Bum Genius also has a nice smooth lining inside the pocket.  I guess it's the back of the outside PUL material.  Some diapers can get a "sticky" feel in there and your hand catches when putting the inserts in, but BG has always been nice and smooth.  They have all worn really well over time -- that is, they look great! -- considering that I've been using a couple of them for almost 2 years!

Thats right! BG also was the first one-size diaper to actually fit E.  None of the one-sizes fit her right at 8 pounds (we used up our hospital-given pack of disposables and then prefolds/covers), but the 4.0's finally did at a few months.  I need to check my notes, and will edit with exact details!  So far, they have truly gone from 10ish pounds to, currently, 28 and counting.

Oh, and one other Bum Genius item: way back when, I bought a newborn diaper for her (on a super sale for some reason, at the physical Cottonbabies store here in Vancouver) and it was great.
Photo from KellysCloset

Being an AIO, it did take longer to dry than the prefolds/covers we were also using, but it was SUPER convenient and at the time I wished I could afford more.  If I were to do it over again, I'd probably try sewing my own newborn AIOs.  Oh, and this one I bought was special: it was the first pink diaper I bought -- before she was born, we didn't know the gender and the diaper stash I'd assembled was fairly "neutral" -- this was my special girly diaper for her. :)

No comments: