Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cloth diapers: Bummis


In the beginning, E. didn't fit into any of the pocket diapers (she was about 8 lbs.), so we were using prefolds and covers.  I had bought all Thirsties and Bummis covers, both because I had heard good things about them, and I think they were also cheapest at the time.  Looking back, I actually had too many covers -- four when I probably only needed two.  (You really can reuse a cover a bunch of times before washing it, especially if you're using a fitted underneath -- and if it's just pee of course.)

I also bought sizes small and medium to have on hand before she was born, but this was a mistake -- by the time she fit the medium covers, she also fit into the pocket diapers, which we used all the time and liked better.

I have gotten use out of the bigger covers recently, though, when she demands her flimsy Gerber training pants and I want some peace of mind when we go out!

Anyway, the Bummis covers.  The Super Brites were great, and very similar to the Thirsties Duo Wraps.  The Brites had good leg gussets to really cover up the prefold/fitteds.  They also were such fun patterns!  We have lots of photos of E. in various pastel baby shirts and then these crazy covers. :)


Pictures from Bummis website

The Whisper Wrap was OK -- it was a bit softer on the inside, but didn't have any leg gussets, so was harder to get a good leg seal.  But they did wash up great, the velcro lasted, and generally didn't present me with any disasters.  Even then, I wouldn't buy them again, just because they were harder to adjust around her.

 Pictures from Bummis website

All in all, these were good, basic covers.  At the time, Bummis wasn't making their other covers, like the Super Lite, Super Snap, and Pull-On -- perhaps I would have tried them . . . I do recommend prefolds/fitteds and covers on a small new baby, though; definitely cost-effective.  Hmm, maybe if I were to do it again, I'd make some newborn pockets/AIOs for added convenience.

Bummis also makes the Tots Bots Easy Fit AIO, but I never did try it.  If I had good reason to (I don't), and the funds for them (I don't, either), I'd get some of their fun Easy Fit prints! 

Oh, and one more thing about these covers: I did ultimately turn the blue panda cover into a pocket, and it held up well . . . till the velcro wore out.

No comments: