Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Recipe: Really Good Banana Bread

And now for a useful blog post!  The following recipe will make a loaf of banana bread that you won't be able to stop eating!  OK, I was able to stop today because I had a piece right after lunch, and I overcooked it a teeny bit, but the other times I've made it . . . let's just say that between the 3 people in this household, the loaf barely lasted 8 hours.  Ahem.

This version is modified from my Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery.  I made it this way once because I didn't have any all-purpose flour . . . and I've never looked back!!

(Note: when mixing, you can definitely do it by hand, but I just found out today that an electric hand mixer/beater will give you a nice, fluffy-soft, cakey texture!  Whatever floats your boat.  I first fell for this loaf after mixing by hand, so there you go.)

0.5 cup butter (1 stick), softened (useful tip: 30 seconds on 30 percent power in the microwave softens refrigerated butter perfectly)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup bread flour
1 cup Hodgson Mill Insta-Bake mix (a whole wheat-y, natural version of Bisquik)
1 tsp. baking soda
0.5 tsp. baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
3 Tbsp milk
0.5 tsp. vanilla
(you can add 0.5 cup of nuts, but I never do . . . chocolate chips, however . . .)

Beat oil and sugar together.  Add eggs and banana pulp and beat well.  Add dry ingredients, milk, and vanilla.  Mix well [and stir in nuts].  Pour into greased and floured loaf pan (9x5x3).  Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes.  Do a toothpick test and add time if neeed. (Will bake slower in a glass pan.)  Cool well.

[Original recipe wants you to cool it overnight, but who can resist fresh, warm banana bread??  Original recipe also states, "Good with cream cheese for tea sandwiches," which sounds really good to me.  Hmm, do I have any cream cheese?]

One final note: I know that the baking mix already has baking powder, etc. in it -- but I think those extra goodies just made this loaf even better!

No comments: