Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cloth Diapers: Happy Heinys

Happy Heinys were another brand of one-size pocket diaper I tried, and overall I put them in the "solid, middle-of-the-road, not-bad-but-not-extraordinary" diaper category.  We used them regularly, knew we could depend on them . . . just another pocket diaper.

    
Photo from Amazon, which BTW has a ridiculously high price for some reason
Photo from Amazon, ditto high price, shop elsewhere!










 
     
Photo from Tinkletinkletoot

Now, according to their website, the One For All (their one-size) has a new design, so my experience is based on the old design.  I bought the purple one (discounted!) and the Peace Bears print because it was just so cute!  The pink "aplix" (velcro) version was sent to me as a freebie from Kelly's Closet.  I didn't really want another Happy Heinys at the time, nor aplix, nor pink, so it wasn't that great a surprise and it got relegated to the diaper bag (read: hardly ever used).

I found them to be just fine, although FOUR snaps was overkill and a tad annoying when you're trying to diaper in a hurry!  The inside microfleece got pilly, but that didn't affect performance.  They did get "the sticky factor" on the back of the PUL (where you put your hand in to stuff them) more than/quicker than other brands.  The inserts would stick and tug on the PUL and it was difficult to maneuver them in there.  It got really annoying, and we had plenty of diapers by that time, so we put them in seldom-used retirement.


Photo from Diaper Lab, which incidentally is a local store in Somerville, MA! 

Ooh, also!  To build my stash in the very beginning, I bought a Peace Bears print diaper cover, too, but it didn't get much use.  This was because 1) it was huge (even snapped down to the smaller size); and 2) my other Thirsties and Bummis covers were working out just fine, and I kind of had too many covers!  My heyday of covers was mostly in the beginning, before she fit into the pockets.

Anyway, as I'm trying out some new options for overnight NOW (more on this in another post), I think my big Happy Heinys cover is going to come in very handy. :)

Overall? This pocket diaper doesn't do anything a Bum Genius doesn't do.  I'd go with BG instead . . . although those peace bears are super cute!!







No comments: