Monday, September 2, 2013

Cloth Diapers: Oh Katy

Oh Katy is an interesting diaper.  Up until recently, I would have said it is another excellent pocket diaper, a notch above the "standard" pockets and into the top tier of Bum Genius and Blueberry Deluxe.  However, towards the end of using this diaper (E. isn't in daytime diapers anymore), it developed issues!  More on that below.
Photo from Amazon

First, the pros.  This diaper is very soft -- the outer material is almost silky-ish and nice.  The inner microfleece is super soft and didn't pill up as much as others.  It has vertical snap placement, yay!  It's very stretchy for a great fit.  The diaper has the weird distinction of opening in the front, but for me that was neither here nor there.  It could have opened in the back and I'd still like it.

Generally I would have recommended this diaper, even going so far as to say I would have bought more in other of their nice, subtle, muted colors (the purple I got is deep and eggplant-y and lovely).

HOWEVER, they started leaking.  Not so much leaks out of poorly-sealed gaps, but that "wicking" action where the outer fabric is soaking through and the whole thing becomes sodden and gets onto clothes.  I don't think they are good for bigger toddlers. All my other pockets were fine with a standard double-stuff of inserts, but at a certain point, this one leaked where the others continued to be totally fine.  It's like there's a level of pee that Oh Katys just can't take.

Hmm, I see that the outer is made of TPU and not PUL, so maybe that has something to do with the lack of waterproof-ness.  OOH, read this article for the differences between TPU and PUL! So that could definitely be why these don't hold up.

I just read a few other reviews to this same effect: Oh Katy diapers are fantastic until they suddenly and catastrophically fail.  So I suppose I could recommend them for smaller, younger babies, but that's it!

Also it looks like the Oh Katy brand has some new owners, so maybe they'll make some changes to the design.  I don't know!

No comments: